Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Inequalities

Today seemed to be the theme for discussing racism and sexism. I have explored these terms all my life and understood their implications but I feel I have yet to do anything about it. Its hard to understand why and how such division was created. Who was it that said women are inferior to men and white is the ultimate race. I look around and I see far more qualified people than me who are not white but automatically due to their race, people view them as inferior to me. It's not fair that some have to deal with consist struggles when others can coast on in life simply because of their sex or the color of their skin.
A good point arouse in my anthropology class; are those who are suppressed really at a disadvantage? Due to their struggles they have learned to be a stronger more independent person. This in turn makes their lives a lot easier than those who have had less of a struggle. The suppressed can grow more as a person and push them selves to the limit. At the same time, being a woman, I feel never being able to earn the same or more money than a man is a huge disadvantage. No matter how hard I try I will always make less. It's not right and it's very frustrating. So the question is, will there ever be a day when racism and sexism never occurs? Yes, we as societies become closer and closer to change. Will this fight really stop?
Confused
-KJ

No comments:

Post a Comment