Saturday, December 12, 2009

Bionic Contact Lens

This past week I have been discussing cyborgs in my Com 435 class. Though the bionic contact lens does not quit fit into this category I still feel it is the same idea. Researchers at the University of Washington created the flexible, biologically safe lens that not only enhances vision but allows one to surf the Internet on a virtual screen, immerse gamers in virtual worlds and monitor patients’ medical conditions. This emerging technology brings a whole new meaning to the "blink of an eye".

I find the bionic contact fascinating but also scary. Its not only amazing to me that vision can be enhanced by a lens but that by thinking you can surf the web and emerge into a virtual world. I have very many questions about this new technology. I don't understand how weight and this particular technology connect? In other words how can one create an item so small and light while also attaching technology to it? It is also frightening that this is the wave of the future. This implies that someday we as humans will turn into personal computers. Does this defeat the purpose of the human race all together? More importantly does this create a foundation for a new human race that can be so advanced there will be no point or use for physical interaction? I want to know what happened to the simple days when life was merely about the survival of the fittest. How and why has our society emerged and advanced so quickly? These are all thoughts and questions that arise when I think of technology such as this. Feel free to give any feedback. Attached is a video to help you better understand this technology.
Later
-kj

No comments:

Post a Comment